Just because you can afford to buy a grand piano doesn’t mean that you are a concert pianist! The piano is just a tool to help the pianist express their creative interpretation of a piece of music. A good pianist can achieve great effects even with a relatively modest instrument, although there are of course occasions when only the best will do.
Similarly with photography. A camera is just a tool that helps us to realize our artistic vision, and even very basic equipment can deliver superb results in the hands of a master. However, the converse is also true: our creative vision can be frustrated if we are not in full control of our camera’s settings and therefore not able to make the right decisions in any given situation.
Adriaan’s photography experiences aim to help you improve your camera skills and techniques AND to help you develop your creative vision. At the end of our time together you should see an improvement in both these aspects of your creative photographic practice.
Locations & Schedule
Adriaan offers a range of photography experiences across the UK. Shorter (one day) experiences can be arranged for locations in London, Surrey, Sussex and Kent. Longer (3 night/4 day) experiences can be arranged for nationwide locations such as the Jurassic Coast, the Lake District, the Peak District, the North Norfolk Coast, North and South Wales, the Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland.
On Adriaan’s photography experiences you will learn by doing, but in terms of theory any or all of the following topics may be covered:
- shutter speed, aperture, ISO & relation between them — shutter priority/aperture priority — exposure compensation — common types of cameras & sensors — types of lenses — depth of field — manual focus vs. autofocus — hyperfocal distance — metering methods — the sunny F/16 rule — histogram — colour temperature & white balance — RAW vs. JPEG — filters — previsualisation — composition — digital processing and printing
Adriaan can discuss your photographic equipment needs and other matters with you in great detail, from buying your equipment through to making a lovely coffee table book of your pictures for family and friends to admire.
Adriaan can also do a critique of some of the pictures you have taken previously to advise on visualisation, composition, technique and processing.
If there is anything you’d like particular help with, please let Adriaan know in advance and he will do his best to make sure it gets covered in the time available.
What to Expect
Adriaan’s photography experiences will give you valuable insights into important aspects of photography, so that you will be prepared to make the most of future photographic opportunities, whether it’s taking pictures in your back garden or at the Grand Canyon!
The experiences are suitable for both beginners and serious amateurs/professionals.
What to Bring
For most courses you will need your camera(s), lenses, tripod, weather-appropriate clothing, comfortable walking shoes (Wellies for early morning shoots and rainy weather). It could also be useful to bring your camera’s manual, if you have it.
Please contact Adriaan to register your interest and to discuss options prior to booking. Adriaan will agree a location and date for the tuition with you and full joining instructions will be given on booking.
One day courses start at £650 and longer (3 night/4 day) experiences start at £2,000.
Testimonials of Some Previous Participants
Here’s what some previous participants have said:
- “Adriaan certainly knows his stuff. He is very patient and knowledgeable. It was good to be with someone who knows the area and wildlife habits. A great morning, well worth it, got some lovely images. Recommended :)” — Heather Buckley, RHS Photographer of the Year 2013, Brighton
- “I went with Adriaan to Northumberland and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. His knowledge of the area is excellent, the accommodation was great and even the weather was kind to us. I came home with some lovely pictures and very happy memories. I am looking forward to my next trip to the UK when I hope I will be able to go on another workshop with Adriaan.” — Jenny Stillwell, Johannesburg
- “The course was very good, enjoyable and I learnt a lot. I would certainly recommend the experience and go again.” — Tracey-Anne Green
- “Adriaan has a really logical & easy to understand approach when explaining photography to a novice – he gives a good grounding before setting you loose on real subject matter. I so enjoyed the day that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone – you go away feeling like a professional after 3 hrs!! I never thought I would understand all the buttons on the camera but I now have a good basic grasp & can happily take the camera off ‘auto’ & really make the most of all its functions. I can’t wait to recharge the battery & go & try out all the new techniques I‘ve learned. Thank you so much, Adriaan!” — Heather O’Connor
- “I did a half day photography course with Adriaan at Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking. Adriaan was very easy to get along with, and was very good at tailoring the discussion. We covered numerous techniques and scenarios during the day. I now appreciate the benefit of coming off Auto, and experimenting with the camera in numerous ways. I also feel much more comfortable in creating good compositions, and will look at scenes through different eyes. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable day and great value for money.” — Gerard Fayson
- “All-in-all I thought the workshop was terrific and I would have no hesitation to recommend you to others.” — Peter Butler, Sevenoaks
There are no reviews yet.